Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Muslim Community

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

It's kind of nice to know that I'm not the only Muslimah in my city. I had heard of others, but had never seen any...other than foreign students and those from other cities...oh well...

Alhamdulillah, there is another Muslimah in my area and she's very nice, mashaAllah. I met her last week, mashaAllah. InshaAllah we'll become true sisters in Islam! Ameen.

It's wonderful to be a part of a Muslim community. In Germany, there were many Muslims, mashaAllah, and while it wasn't the best community, I had friends and good neighbors and was able to indulge in a social life. It was wonderful, mashaAllah, even though I disliked living in Germany immensely, subhanAllah.

There are many Muslim communities in America...or at the very least, there are a lot ot communities with a Muslim population. It's sad how often I hear that people are dissatisfied with their community in general. That they have a hard time connecting with other Muslims in their area and that they feel as though there is no connection.

Unfortunately, Muslims seem to be like everyone else in that they group together according to nationality. If you go to a mosque which is mostly visited by people from the subcontinent, you might find a small group of Arabs off to the side by themselves. And vice versa. It's a sad phenomena...and one that should be eradicated. The larger population has a duty to try and incorporate the smaller population, I think. We are all Muslims. That is our binding feature...and it should be the most important feature of our lives. Prejudice has no part in Islam.

Alhamdulillah, if you can think of no other topic to start with...start talking about Islam! InshaAllah that can lead to friendship. With an open mind, you can talk about so many things...and it's interesting how much you can learn about another culture through the "eyes" of Islam, mashaAllah. The little conversations...we do this, what do you do?

So many of us take the community around us for granted. There are so many wonderful people and wonderful Muslims all over the world. Opportunities for friendship and for dawah.

May Allah ta'ala open our hearts, guide the Muslimeen, and make us a strong Ummah. Ameen.

May Allah ta'ala grant us pious children, better than their parents, and blessings to all they meet. Ameen.

May Allah ta'ala guide us on the straight path. Ameen.

Fi aman Allah,

Katherine





No comments:

Followers